Thursday 2 April 2020

Social Distancing Incident, Pencester Road, Dover, UK


The Coronavirus social distancing rule of 2 metres or 6 feet should start at the "thigh-ball" and not the eyeball! 

Several days after lockdown was introduced, I found myself approaching two female "wide people" from behind who were walking side-by-side along this pavement, blocking it completely:


Their conversation and general demeanour showed complete indifference to both the surroundings and the people in it.

I do not see this as fat shaming because it was the women's attitude, or "anti-social behaviour", that I question, not their size! (after all, this kind of attitude can be found in people of all shapes and sizes, and in all walks of life).

To illustrate this, if I tilt my head a little forward then peripheral vision gives me spatial awareness of both my shoulders without the need to turn my head.

However, if I were wearing the equivalent of half-a-dozen overcoats then I feel sure awareness of my relationship to my surroundings would be impaired.

Furthermore, these overcoats would be heavy so that once set on a particular trajectory it would require some little effort to change direction.

Asking a morbidly obese person to make such an effort may induce "resentment" in those instances where the obesity is the result of historical and unaddressed psychological issues.

Fortunately, I veered off into my destination (the Poundland shop) before I caught up with the two women and found out what their reaction to being asked to let someone by would be.

Where it is possible, I have no problem stepping around wide people on sidewalks because I feel what I believe to be an empathy for their physical capabilities.

Abbreviated versions of this post are also on Facebook and Twitter.

The location this photo was taken from on the 30th of March 2020 is marked "P" on the route map:


Original map and biometrics at Polar Flow

Permitted cycle ride under the UK Coronavirus (Covid-19) lockdown rules.

Also see:


NHS: Obesity

No comments:

Post a Comment