Sunday 12 April 2020

Life before Covid-19, My Office at Eight Bells Pub, Dover UK

The three photos of Wetherspoon's Eight Bells public house in this post were taken long before the Coronavirus pandemic began.

A link to a fourth photo in a separate post (showing the pub during this period of lock down) will appear here once the post has been uploaded.

News update: Pubs may start reopening from July the 4th, 2020 - see section 2b

Contents:

1) Introduction
2a ) Internal shot of Coffee Station and Kitchen entrance, December 27th, 2018
2b) View of the bar and entrance area, September 7th, 2018
3) External shot of John Latter (me!) on Google Earth's "Street View", circa 2009
 

1) Introduction

J D Wetherspoon's The Eight Bells public house and eatery (they offer an extensive menu) is located at 19 Cannon Street, Dover, Kent, CT16 1BZ, Telephone 01304 205030.

It is named after the bells in the West Tower of St Mary the Virgin Parish Church that stands on the opposite side of the road.

The pub is part of an imposing 1896 Victorian edifice that began life as the Metropole Hotel.

At various times in its subsequent history, the building also housed, amongst other commercial and military enterprises, the Metropole Theatre, the Dover Motor Company, the Plaza cinema, the Rio Cinema, and a Bingo Hall.

For many years the "Metropole Bars" occupied the first floor.

Today, the Eight Bells has exactly the same frontage on Cannon Street as the International Stores once had in the days of the Dover Motor Company.


2a) Internal shot of Coffee Station and Kitchen entrance, December 27th, 2018:



(I've had a Canon 600D DSLR camera for a number of years and still only use it as a "point and shoot" camera - hence the glare!)
:
I've been retired for 4 years now and throughout this time I've invariably arrived at the Eight Bells just after 8 am every morning and used the table on the left as an unofficial office.

For the next two hours or so I would then sit there and engage in a number of activities, including:

a) Use the free WiFi to pursue my research interests into obscure (and unpopular!) areas of evolution and psychology.

 b) Read and do the puzzles in a daily paper (usually the free Metro newspaper that would be provided either by myself or by Teresa, who is a member of the staff),

c) Chat to friends and acquaintances, including some who are "Facebook friends" (of these, the ones I saw most frequently were Peter Drew, John Hughes, and Graham Lane).

And, of course, I would drink coffee - with free refills, too!


2b) View of the bar and entrance area, September 7th, 2018




The view from my "office" looking towards Cannon Street, uploaded to mark the first news that we've had of the easing of Coronavirus lockdown restrictions in the hospitality sector:

"UK lockdown: Some pubs in England could open from 4 July at earliest, says Raab"

This Independent newspaper's report goes on to say:

"Some pubs in England could reopen as early as July if they can keep drinkers apart, Dominic Raab has said.

The tentative plan to allow cafes and restaurants to reopen in the third phase of the lockdown easing could also include pubs, the foreign secretary suggested for the first time.

Told publicans would 'go under' otherwise, Mr Raab said: 'You are absolutely right.' "



3) External shot of John Latter (me!) on Google Earth's "Street View", circa 2009




That's me in the olive-green jacket sitting in the right-hand corner of the seating area.

In front of me are my coffee cup and black camera bag. Behind, my bike (that I've still got) is resting against the ornamental railing.

It's a pity that Google have blurred the faces and that we're not able to tag ourselves.

I mean, unlike some people who appear to be almost paranoid about "privacy", when I'm out and about I want to be both seen AND photographed - preferably as often as possible!

Apparently, the Google camera cars were last in Dover's Cannon Street about ten years ago - I just hope that I'm once again sitting in front of the Eight Bells the next time they come around! 😀

Abbreviated versions of this post are also on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment